What are some benefits to hiring a doula?
Doula care has been proven to make childbirth safer, less interventive, and shorter than births that are not doula attended. Klaus & Kennel compiled data from six randomized trials and showed that when professional labor support is provided to birthing women, the outcome for the whole family is dramatically improved. The following is a summary of some of the benefits:
- 50% reduction in cesarean deliveries.
- 25% reduction in the length of labor.
- 40% reduction in the use of oxytocin.
- 60% reduction in the use of epidurals.
- 40% reduction in the use of forceps or instrumental delivery.
Klaus, Marshall H., MD; Kennell, John H., MD; Klaus, Phyllis H., M.Ed., C.S.W. Mothering the Mother: How a Doula Can Help You Have a Shorter, Easier, & Healthier Birth. Perseus Books, Massachusetts. 1993.